Cashews are a popular ingredient in Indian and Thai dishes as they are often used to thicken the gravy and add flavor to it. The beef cashew curry is a quick and easy dish that you can try at home and it can be served with hot rice or breads. Here is a simple recipe for cashew curried beef that is sure to be a winner in your house.
Recipe for Cashew Curried Beef
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 5 people
One and half pounds of beef steak, thinly sliced
Half a cup of salted cashews
Two cups of coconut milk
One tablespoon red curry paste or curry powder mixed with water
Two tablespoons of brown sugar
One red pepper sliced into thin strips
Eight cups of chopped bok choy
Half a cup of finely chopped cilantro
Two tablespoons of fish sauce or oyster sauce
Two tablespoons of cooking oil
Method Of Preparation
1. In a large skillet add two to three tablespoons of cooking oil or canola oil. Add the beef strips to the skillet and sauté them for some time till the beef strips lose the pink color and turns brown. Remove from the wok onto a plate and set aside.
2. In a large pan add the leftover oil that was used to sauté the beef strips and then add coconut milk. Let the ingredients simmer over medium heat for around five minutes and then add the curry paste and let it cook. Finish off by adding fish sauce and brown sugar and cook till the sauce for the beef has thickened. You can also add some cayenne pepper for taste. If the sauce does not thicken then add some cornstarch.
3. Add bok choy stems and the strips of red pepper. Let the curry for the beef cook for five more minutes on medium heat. In the end, add the cashews, cooked beef and some cilantro. Stir all the ingredients with a wooden spoon so that the beef is coated well with the sauce. Remove from heat and serve the delicious beef and cashew curry with steamed brown or white rice.
4. There are a number of variations to this simple dish and you can add the ingredients according to your taste. Some people prefer using green beans, chopped brown onions and even thin slices of red hot chili to add a spicy touch to the dish. To add a sour touch, sprinkle some lime juice on top.
5. You can also roast the cashews before adding them to the dish. Roasted cashews are crunchy and taste much better. Just heat some oil in a wok, add the cashews to it and roast for a minute or two. If you want a low calorie version then use light coconut milk with low cream content rather than full fat coconut milk.
Photo Credit: http://www.bentota-srilankahotels.com/travel-guides/Cuisine