Burrito is a traditional Mexican food which is prepared by rolling a flour tortilla over a meat or vegetable filling. In this recipe, the tortilla is rolled in such a way, so that the filling gets completely enclosed within the tortilla. Burritos can be filled with many ingredients, including various types of meats like beef and chicken and even with vegetarian ingredients like bean and tomatoes. Burritos are very easy to prepare but they are wonderfully delicious and hearty.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 4-6
Preparation time required: 30-40 minutes
Cooking time required: 20-25 minutes
1 deep skillet
1 9×13 inch baking pan
1 stirring spoon
1 lb. of lean ground beef
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
16 oz. can of refried beans
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
16 oz. of canned chilies
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
10-11 7-inch flour tortillas
1 teaspoon of salt
Black pepper powder, to taste
Sour cream, for serving
Avocado slices, for serving
Method of Preparation
1. Take out the ground beef from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to cooking it. Letting the meat to sit at room temperature helps to thaw it and to prepare it for cooking. Then take a deep skillet and place it on the stove. Light up the flame by turning the knob of the stove and then adjust to set it on medium low. Put 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil into the skillet and then swirl the skillet to spread the oil in it. Wait for the oil to heat up and then put the thawed ground beef into the skillet.
2. Break the large lump of ground beef with a stirring spoon and then brown it for 7-8 minutes or until it becomes dark brown in color. While the beef is browning, take the bell pepper and the onion. Rinse the bell pepper and the onion under slow running water and then chop them. For that, first take the bell pepper and cut it in half. Snap off the stem of the bell pepper and then remove the core and the seeds from the halves. Finally, take the halves and chop them finely.
3. Next, take the onion and cut it in half. Peel off its skin and then cut off the basal plate and the tip of the onion halves. Finally, chop the onion halves very finely. Once done, throw the chopped onion, minced garlic and the chopped bell pepper into the skillet and sauté them with the ground beef. Sauté the vegetables with the ground beef for 3-4 minutes more and then season the mixture with salt, paprika, ground cumin and a pinch of black pepper powder. Stir to combine all the seasonings and the spice with the mixture and then add-in the refried beans and the canned chilies.
4. Give a brief stir to the mixture to combine and then let it cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes crumbly. While the meat mixture is cooking, preheat the oven by setting a temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit on it and then prepare a baking pan by greasing it with cooking spray. Once you are ready with the beef and bean mixture, turn off the heat and then take the tortillas. Take a tortilla and put 2 tablespoons of the filling on it. Roll one side of the tortilla over the filling and then roll the two sides of the tortilla over that. Then continue rolling the tortilla until you reach the extreme end of it and you get a cylindrical shaped roll. Once done, place it seam-side down on the greased baking pan.
5. Roll up all the burritos in the same way and then arrange them side by side in the baking pan. Once done, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the burritos and then cover the pan with an aluminum foil. Once ready, pop the baking pan into the preheated oven to bake the burritos for 10-12 minutes. After that, uncover the baking pan by removing the aluminum foil from the top of it and then put back the baking pan into the oven to bake the burritos for 8 minutes more.
6. Now turn on the broiler and broil the burritos for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese at the top turns brown and bubbly. Once done, take out the baking pan from the oven and let the burritos cool down for a few minutes. Once cooled enough, serve the warm burritos with sour cream and avocado slices.