Pasta is one of the most loved foods, relished by people all over the world. Its mild flavour makes it suitable for soups, salads and main dishes, thereby making it extraordinarily versatile. Pastas can be cooked in a variety of sauces with different flavours.
Here are two mouth-watering pasta recipes which are a break from the classic white and tomato sauce base. These delicious preparations are sure to be a treat for all. So pamper your taste buds with these amazing pasta dishes.
Fiery Peri Peri Pasta
Peri peri sauce has a deep rooted interesting history of its own. Peri peri chillies, which are originally from south Africa found their way to Portugal via the Portuguese invaders.
This Portuguese staple delight is widely known for its hot and zesty flavour. Though the original recipe has peri peri chillies, red chillies may also be used in their place to create similar flavour.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
For the sauce (one small bottle)
5 red chillies (soaked overnight)
5 red chillies (not soaked)
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
8 garlic flakes
¾ cup parsley or coriander
½ cup olive oil
Salt (according to taste)
1 lb. Cooked pasta (preferably penne or bowtie)
1. Remove the stems from the red chillies and peel and chop the garlic flakes.
2. Add the chillies and garlic in the blender and blend to make a smooth mixture
3. Slowly add olive oil to the mixture to make a paste.
4. Add salt and red chilli flakes for the final touch.
5. Store the peri peri sauce in an air tight container and refrigerate to prevent it from perishing.
6. Now boil penne and rinse it with cool water.
7. Reheat one table spoon peri peri sauce and toss pasta in it.
8. Now add salt and seasoning according to taste.
Corn Pesto Pasta
Pesto penne is a favourite dish of garlic lovers. It is tasty, healthy and different from the usual pasta dressings and sauces.
The green colour of the pesto sauce gives the dish an interesting twist. Pesto is an Italian popular dish especially relished by children.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
For the sauce
4 garlic cloves
1lb basil leaves
¼ cup pine nuts (roasted) or walnuts
¼ cup olive oil
Salt to taste
A pinch of black pepper
1 teaspoon pasta seasoning or dried oregano
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
¼ cup steamed corn
1 teaspoon butter
1 lb cooked pasta
1. Grind basil, nuts, and garlic in a blender slowly to make a grainy paste.
2. Add olive oil to the paste for smoothness.
3. Then heat a small pan and put butter in it.
4. Add the steamed corn when butter begins to melt.
5. Pour the pesto sauce over the corn and let it cook for 2 minutes.
6. Then add penne to the sauce and toss it slowly.
7. Now add salt, black pepper and herbs according to taste.
8. Grate parmesan over the dish for a cheesy flavour and enjoy!