Chocolate truffle cake is an absolutely heavenly treat for chocolate lovers. Made of three layers of chocolate cakes and coated with chocolate ganache on the outer side, this heavenly treat is a thing of pure indulgence.
The best thing about this cake is that you can explore the layers of thick chocolate filling while relishing this wonderful chocolate truffle cake. Although the preparation process and list of ingredients look quite complex, you will be amazed to discover the simplicity of this recipe once you start preparing it.
Preparation Time: 40-50 minutes
Baking Time: 30-40 minutes
1 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups + 2/3rd cup of plain all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
2 cups + ½ cup of 2% milk
A pinch of salt
2 cups of white granulated sugar
1 cup of chopped semisweet chocolate
For The Ganache
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup + 1/4th cup of chopped semisweet chocolate
For The Filling
½ cup of chopped dark chocolate
½ cup of heavy whipping cream
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cubed
2 cups + ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar
1. Take a small saucepan and place it over low flame. Tip 1 cup of butter into the saucepan and then add 1 cup of semisweet chocolate to it. Stir the mixture constantly to avoid burning it. Once the chocolate melts entirely and mixes with the butter, slowly start adding the 2 ½ cups of 2% milk while stirring the mixture constantly to mix the milk. Once the entire milk is added, stir the mixture for a few more seconds or until you get a smooth chocolate mixture. Once ready, turn off the flame and set aside the saucepan.
2. After that, take a large mixing bowl and tip the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs on medium speed until they turn into a pale yellow color and then whisk-in the vanilla extract. Follow that by adding the chocolate mixture from the saucepan. Whisk the mixture again until the chocolate mixture is well combined with the eggs. Once done, take another bowl and tip the flour into it. Add the salt and baking soda to the flour and then stir the mixture lightly to combine all the added ingredients with the flour.
3. Now take the flour mixture and add it to the chocolate and eggs mixture a little at a time, so that the entire flour mixture can get easily incorporated. Beat the batter for 5-6 minutes or until it becomes thin and pliable. Next, take three 9-inch round baking pans and grease them entirely with butter. Sprinkle flour into all the baking pans to coat the pans nicely with flour. Shake off the excess flour from the pans and then pour equal amounts of batter into each of the pans.
4. Insert all the baking pans into a 325 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven to bake the cakes for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the deepest part of all the cakes. Once done, take out the pans and place them on a wire rack to cool. After that, take out the cakes from the pan and set them aside. Now take a small saucepan and tip the remaining butter and chocolate into it to prepare the filling. Stir to combine both the ingredients nicely and then stir-in the confectioner’s sugar and the cream.
5. Once the filling turns smooth, remove the saucepan from the heat and place another saucepan over the flame. Pour the cream into the saucepan and let it come to a boil. Once the cream starts boiling, drop the chocolate cubes one by one and stir the mixture constantly. Continue stirring mixture constantly until the ganache becomes thick. Once done, remove from heat and let it cool down.
6. Now to assemble the cake, place one of the cakes on a tray and spread half of the filling mixture over that. Top the filling layer with another cake and then spread the remaining filling mixture over the second cake. Top the second layer of filling with the third cake and then spread the ganache all over and around the cake. Once done, pop the cake into the refrigerator to let it cool down and then serve.