Every day we eat different kinds of food to soothe our appetite and taste buds. Eating good and tasteful food has become one of our major works of life. Today there are multiple varieties of products available in the grocery store that can turn a simple recipe into a worthwhile idea of having food. Due to globalization, within a few decades certain cuisines have gained a famous stand in the world. No longer have we to eat the same regular food every day, there is always the special variety and cuisine available.
Italian cuisine is among those cuisines that have earned a wonderful place in the kitchens of the world. So what makes Italian cuisine so famous? Italian cuisine is famous for its Italian seasoning. Italian seasoning adds the extra flavors from Italy making it sweet, succulent, aromatic and wonderful to taste. Usually Italian seasoning recipes are herbal seasoning blends with a few co-variations here and there.
Making Italian seasoning recipe at home is easy. If all ingredients are ‘mise in place’ then making them will hardly take 5 minutes. Commercial versions of Italian seasoning are present in the market, but there is nothing like homemade mix. Here are two wonderful Italian seasoning recipes that will give your Italian cooking a new taste, and nostalgia for Italy.
Italian Seasoning Recipe- Herb Version
Yields: 8-10 tablespoons
Preparation Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
3 tbsp oregano (dried)
3 tbsp basil (dried)
3 tbsp marjoram (dried)
3 tbsp rosemary (dried)
3 tbsp thyme (dried)
1 ½ tbsp garlic powder
1. Take all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix them. Put them in the small jar or bowl in a blender and grind all the herbs together. Grind according to your need. Keep it coarse if you are planning to add in meat recipes.
2. Pour the mix in an airtight container. This Italian seasoning recipe will stay fine for a week. There are variations available where you can add pepper powder, paprika, onion powder, parsley, coriander or other herbs.
1. Oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil and rosemary are the basic five herbs that must be included in the seasoning mix. They are the essentials. As these herbs have a subtle taste and smell, they induce a high flavor with no extra strong or pungent smell.
2. To understand if the seasoning mix is fine, check the color and the odor. If both of them change and become dull then it’s time to throw them away.
Italian Seasoning recipe- Dressing style
Used in poultry, meat and sometimes in salad dressing, this seasoning recipe is another treat for Italian food lovers. Easy to make with delightful taste, this seasoning mix adds the juicy flavors to the food.
Yields: 1 cup
Preparation time: 4 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp grounded pepper
1 tsp red pepper (crushed and dried)
½ tsp of lemon peel (grated)
3 tbsp lemon juice
¾ cup olive oil (preferable extra virgin)
¾ cup Parsley (finely chopped)
1 tbsp of capers (drained)
1 anchovy fillets (thinly sliced or minced)
1. Add garlic clove, black pepper, red pepper, sea salt and lemon peel together. Take a spoon and mash this mix with help of it.
2. Add lemon juice, olive oil and whisk till the mix blend. Stir in the capers, anchovies and parsley. If needed add more salt and pepper. Refrigerate the mix. Add these two seasoning mix to any Italian recipe and feel Italy at home.